The way people do search engine optimization has changed so much over the years. This is mainly because of the many updates that Google has likewise done to its search algorithm to address bad SEO practices. The most recent Google update that has made huge impacts on how websites are ranked is the Penguin 2.0. Because of the frequent updates, a website owner will need to have frequent SEO consulting services to keep up with the changes.
If you are one of those who are undergoing SEO training in the Philippines, you should be aware of how the Penguin 2.0 has changed how SEO is done. Among the changes brought about by the Penguin is how linking is done to increase a website’s rankings. Below is a guide on what not to do when trying to get links for your website.
- Paying another website to link to your website. Google does not allow buying links, so paying another website to link to your website is not the way to get links. Do not be tempted even if another website has a high page rank because Google will penalize your website if you do.
- Using hidden links. Some websites put links that are hidden or cannot be seen by the typical site visitor. This is not allowable with Google and can also get you penalized.
- Having broken links. It is important to fix all broken links because it can be detected by Google and might cause you to lose page ranking.
- Excessive use of anchor text. Years back, many websites are optimized for targeted keywords which are often repeatedly used as anchor text when linking to the website. Unfortunately, this could get you penalized by Google because it is indicative of links that are not natural and organic. So make sure that the anchor texts used to link to your website are varied.
- Getting links from bad websites. Not all links are good for your website. Websites which may be considered bad or spammy by Google are not the best websites to get links from. If Google penalizes a website linking to your site, your website’s rankings may also get adversely affected.
- Linking to bad websites. Aside from getting penalized by getting links from bad websites, Google also looks at the websites that you are linking to. If a particular website is spammy and uses black hat SEO, then your site will get the same treatment from Google.